Here is the winners list for the Borneo Bird Festival 2023, held from 21-22 October 2023 at the Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC) in Sepilok, Sabah, Malaysia. This was also the 13th time the event has taken place here.
During the event, there were five categories for the competitions: the Bird Photo Race contest, Bird Photo and Video Contest (Stills), Bird Photo and Video Contest (Videos), Wildlife Photo Contest and the Sabah Bird Race, open to adults 18 years and above.
Winners List for the Borneo Bird Festival 2023
The Borneo Bird Festival prize-giving ceremony was held at around 4.00 pm in the afternoon on Sunday with a simple but entertaining ceremony, thanks to the engaging MC. Prizes include a combination of cash in Ringgit Malaysia, equipment (optics and cameras) and holiday packages.
The main prizes for the various categories were sponsored by main sponsor Nikon, followed by Sony, Fujifilm, Svbony, SRISHTI Digital Life, Swarovski Optic, Cede Prudente Photography, KB Camera, Sandakan Foto, Sepilok Tropical Wildlife Adventure Sdn Bhd. Additional sponsors include YB Vivian (Sandakan), SI Tours Sdn Bhd, Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre (BSBCC) and IOI.
Bird Photo Race
- Winner – Jusimin Duaneh (31 species, including 1 endemic species and 1 rare species)
- 2nd Place – Mohd Nor Hafiz (29 species, including 1 endemic species and 1 rare migrant)
- 3rd Place – Nevin Bin Wolli (29 species)
- Most Artistic Photo – Ngai Sui Ling (Black and Yellow Broadbill)
- Most Endemic Bird – Jusimin Duaneh (Dusky Munia)
Bird Photo and Video Contest (Stills Category)
- Winner – Jordan Sitorus (Crested Fireback-Proudly Whirring)
- 2nd Place – Yabainus Juhalin (Bornean Leafbird)
- 3rd Place – Ambo Sakka (Banded Kingfisher@ Black-Faced Kingfisher)
- Special Mention – Alphonse Loinsang (Grey-Chinned Minivet)
- Consolation Prize – Charles Mawan (Pheasant Bulwer or White-Tailed Pheasant)
- Consolation Prize – Noor Hirzan Abdillah Bin Mohd Momin (Bornean Banded Pitta-I’m a Leech Controller)
- Consolation Prize – Muhamad Mizan Bin Ngateni (Bornean Bristlehead-The Iconic Bird in Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC))
*You can view the winning photos in a video capture from the official Borneo Bird Festival Facebook Page.
Bird Photo and Video Contest (Videos Category)
- Winner – Jordan Sitorus (Red-Breasted Partridge)
- 2nd Place – Tuah Bin Roslan (Temminck’s Sunbird- Flying Around Looking for Nectar)
- 3rd Place – Noor Hirzan Abdillah Bin Mohd Momin (Black-Crowned Pitta ‘Feathers, Fluff and Beauty’)
- Special Mention – Mohd Shaiful Abu Bakar (Wallace’s Eagle Preening)
- Consolation Prize – Kelvin Voo Fook Ping (Sabah Partridge)
- Consolation Prize – Mohd Shaiful Abu Bakar (Crowned Pitta)
- Consolation Prize – Tuah Bin Roslan (Blue-Eared Kingfisher- Let’s Dance Forever)
*You can view the winning bird videos in a quick video capture from the official Borneo Bird Festival Facebook Page.
Wildlife Photo Contest
- Winner – N.Deriy Jor (Western Tarsier)
- 2nd Place – Mark Louis Benedict (The Elephant Trumpeting in the Rain)
- 3rd Place – Jason Teo Jia Hong (Pygmy Tree Shrew Feeding on Bananas in a Plantation…)
*You can view the winning wildlife photos in video via the Borneo Bird Festival Facebook Page.
Sabah Bird Race
- Winner – JCB Birders (137 species, including 12 endemic species)
- 2nd Place – S.I Tours (126 species, including 7 endemic species)
- 3rd Place – Kalabakan Upland (122 species, including 8 endemic species)
The above list was provided by the Sandakan Borneo Bird Club, who were the main organizers of this event. We look forward to the upcoming Borneo Bird Festival 2024, which is due to be held in late October next year. More information regarding next year’s event will be posted on our website as we obtain more information.
Thank you, and please subscribe to Birdwatching Asia, as we are the only niche and specialized bird watching media in Malaysia that does coverage for all kinds of birding events, contests, festivals, races, promotions and publicity.