The Borneo Bird Festival 2019 will be taking place in the city of Sandakan, Sabah Borneo from the 26th and 27th of October 2019.
This will also be the 11th year that the bird festival in Sabah is taking place, and it will be at the home ground of the event, which is the Rainforest Discovery Center or RDC in Sepilok.
Borneo Bird Festival 2019
For this years bird festival, there will be the usual activities on going like the bird race, which is the main event and also the bird photo race, which is gaining popularity among some of the bird photographers.
One the opening day, there will be the official opening of the bird festival done at the main stage area, where invited VIPs will officiate the event.
Talks and workshops related to conservation, nature and also birding will be conducted at the seminar hall located in the RDC.
The Borneo Bird Festival has also been welcomed as one of the must-visit family events in Sandakan, attracting locals and also curious visitors from near and afar.
While many may think this event only revolves around bird watching, you are wrong. There are many other activities that are related towards nature and the outdoors.
There are also kid-related events, hence you will see many children of all ages visiting the event, including primary and secondary schools from around the greater Sandakan area.
Activities at the Borneo Bird Festival 2019;
- Bird Race Open Category – Open to all teams.
- Bird Race Student Category – For secondary school students.
- Bird Photograpy Race – All classes, sponsored by Canon.
- General Photography Contest – Open to all, register at the event.
- Basic Photography Class – By Canon and Borneo Bird Club.
- Explorace – An ‘amazing race’ concept in the rainforest, open to all.
Student Bird Race – The objective of conducting the bird race for secondary students is mainly to encourage nature appreciation through bird watching and bird photography.
Just to add on, the last Borneo Bird Festival 2018 saw over 200 participants and visitors attend the festival held at the RDC in sepilok. This was also accompanied with the Borneo Bird Run, which takes place on Sunday morning.
Participating in the Borneo Bird Festival
In the last 10 years, the Borneo Bird Festival has seen tens of thousands of people attending and participating for the many events held here.
International participants have been coming from as far as the United Sates, South Africa and even from Japan. For locals, Sabahans make up the bulk of the visitors while there have been visitors from neighboring state Sarawak.
Visitors and participants from Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and all around Southeast Asia are no strangers to the bird festival held here in Sabah.
For the Borneo Bird Festival 2019, teams from Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan and Peninsular Malaysia have been confirmed to take part in the bird race and also photo race.
Where is the Borneo Bird Festival held?
The bird festival originally started in the city of Sandakan at the RDC in Sepilok. Over the last 10 years, the festival has also moved to other cities around Sabah.
The festival was also held at the Mount Kinabalu Park twice, and in 2017, there was the Borneo Bird Race was held in Kota Kinabalu City and the Crocker Range, which was a dual area event.
How to go to the Borneo Bird Festival?
For those who live in Sabah, you can self-drive to Sandakan from anywhere in Sabah. You should also make your accommodation bookings ahead in order to get a good deal from the lodges or hotels.
Those coming from out of Sabah, there are numerous flights to Sandakan with AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines. From the airport, it takes only 20 minutes to get to Sepilok.
From the city area of Sandakan, it will take around 40 minutes drive one way. If there is heavy traffic, it could go up to 60 minutes one way.
Just to add on, there is ride-hailing service like Grab and general taxis from around Sandakan, but there is bus service to the RDC.
Where to Stay for the Borneo Bird Festival?
Around the Rainforest Discovery Center or RDC in Sepilok, there are numerous accommodations that participants can choose from. These accommodations range from budget lodges to nature resorts.
Obviously most participants will want to stay closest to the event at the RDC, hence those places will be fully booked easily.
For those visiting only, you can always stay at some of the nice hotels located in Sandakan City as it is a 30 minute drive to the RDC.
Hotels, Resorts and Lodges at Sepilok
Below are a list of all the lodges, hotels and resorts located around the main Sepilok area. Some of them are very close to the RDC while others require a slight walk or a shuttle service provided by the resort or lodge.
For your convenience, I have provided links to booking your room or rooms at these places and they are via the Booking dot com website.
To disclose further, I do earn a small commission if you make your booking from any of the links below and thank you for supporting my work. After all, this website is a self-sustained platform and I work alone to provide the content.
- Sepilok Bed and Breakfast – This is the closest accommodation to the RDC and highly popular among the local birders. Basic and comfortable accommodations. Book a room at Sepilok B&B, and book fast as they are popular.
- My Nature Resort – One of the newer resorts that is more luxurious and premium. The resort is located about 20 minutes walk to the RDC.
- Nature Lodge Sepilok – A short walk to the RDC and in the main Sepilok area. Book a room at Nature Lodge Sepilok for ease.
- Sepilok Forest Edge Resort – One of the further resorts from everything in Sepilok, but a nice and quiet place. You can take a slow long walk or use a shuttle service from the resort. Book a room at Sepilok Forest Edge Resort.
- Sepilok Jungle Resort – Located very close to the Sepilok Orangutan Center, and a 15 to 20 minute walk to the RDC. You can book a room at Sepilok Jungle Resort.
- Sepilok Nature Resort – One of the nicer places to stay at while in Sepilok, and closer to the Orangutan Center. Book a room at Sepilok Natute Resort for the best rates recommended by me.
Overall, Sabah is and has been the premier birding destination in Malaysia for the last two to three decades. This is due to the self-initiative of many bird guides and tour agents that made it possible.
Many in the region have also asked how Sabah became the top birding destination in Malaysia, and it goes to show that with passion, comes determination and success.
If you are a passionate birder, bird photographer or nature lover, the Borneo Bird Festival 2019 is the event to attend, and you will not regret it.