Welcome to Bird Watching Asia, a specialised portal, website and blog about all things bird watching in Malaysia and around Asia. The main objective of this bird watching website is to provide birders with up to date information on bird watching in the country and this region.
You will find articles, reviews, locations, resources, and even tips and tricks about bird watching from around Malaysia and Asia. More focus will be put on Malaysia, Southeast Asia as Greater Asia is an extensive area, but we will also include relevant destinations and information.
Who is Bird Watching Asia?
Bird Watching Asia is an independent private website and blog owned and operated by David Hogan Jr, a pure Malaysian from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have been writing about bird watching since 2008 and tourism in Malaysia and around the world on my other platform called Malaysia Asia.
I am not a bird tour company or bird watching guide, but just a general and casual birder who has been bird watching since 2007 and do not claim to be a professional. I tend to do this sport at a leisurely pace as one of my outdoor hobbies.
However, much of my bird watching has been done mainly around Peninsular Malaysia, Borneo Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, and Jordan over the years. Again, nothing serious and just casual birding at these countries.
I realised that there is limited information about this unique hobby; therefore, I took the initiative to start this bird watching website to provide valuable information on this.
My initial aim is to promote bird watching in Malaysia as this is my home and eventually start to venture to the neighbouring countries in my region. This, of course, will take time before I finally explore Asia.
What is Bird Watching Asia?
- The creation of this bird watching portal is to provide up to date information on birding and anything else related to this unique hobby.
- As this is a private portal, everything here is self-funded and not supported by any organisation, government or bird club.
- Bird Watching Asia’s mission is to provide the best and latest information possible, but being self-funded, it will take time to provide all the information available.
- We will do our utmost best to keep the information updated from time to time.
Work With Bird Watching Asia
For those in this niche industry, you are welcome to contact us in working together to promote your destination, business, service or products. Bird Watching Asia is always open to collaborations with any interested party, and you can contact us for this.
Who are the people or businesses that can work with us for a win-win situation? Below is a list of the potential people or companies that can collaborate with us;
- Tourism Boards
Tourism boards from countries, states or districts can work together with us as a platform to promote their bird-watching destinations. We can send birders to your destination to do an overall review.
- Bird Watching Tour Companies
In Asia, numerous bird watching tour companies provide tailor-made tours for birders. The tours may be simple as daily tours, elaborate weekly or even 30-day tours. We can work with small or large tour companies that specialise in this. We are also open to working with new tour companies to venture into this niche tourism market.
- Bird Watching Guides
As there are many bird watching guides in each country, most of them are freelance based and operate on recommendations, word of mouth, social media, and some even via their websites. Bird guides can also contact us to get featured in our Bird Watching Guides section. We may even have an interview section in the near future.
- Bird Watching Clubs and Associations
There are many birding clubs found all over Asia, and even here in Malaysia, there are a few. I am very open to working together with these bird watching clubs, especially those in Malaysia, where we can do something to create more awareness.
- Bird Writers and Bird Videographers
You are invited to contribute or share articles related to bird watching on our site. We are self-funded; therefore, we can only credit your name, Instagram, website or social media account. Contact us for more information.
- Bird Watching Websites, Magazines or Books
There are highly popular among the birding community locally and around the world. If you are keen on doing direct or cross-promotions, this can be arranged to benefit both parties.
- Bird Watching Products
There are many different products related to bird watching, and we are open to working together in promoting or even reviewing these products. They include;
1. Photography Products – This is probably one of every bird watcher’s most crucial products. Cameras, lenses, tripods, flash, straps, accessories, etc.
2. Spotting Products – Binoculars and scopes are essential tools for bird watchers. If you are a manufacturer, distributor or retail outlet selling these products, we can offer product reviews and advertising for your equipment.
3. Apparels – Depending on your destination, most bird watching in Malaysia and Asia will be in humid or even cool conditions. Apparels are essential for bird watchers to feel comfortable while spending hours in the rainforest, sea or mountains. Products include pants, tops, jackets and even shoes.
4. Bird Watching Gear – Gear comes in many forms, and nowadays, with technology, many new and exciting products are suitable for bird watchers. They are smartphones, recorders, laptops, camera bags, pouches, general backpacks, luggage bags, gadgets, etc.
5. Other Bird Watching Products – Many other products can be used for bird watching, including watches, travel amenities, insect repellent, and many other items. It could even be a car, truck or SUV that can be reviewed.
How to Contact Bird Watching Asia?
If you are into this niche nature and outdoor hobby and would like to contact me, please do so by using the contact form provided. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
I am not a bird tour company, but I have many friends who run bird tours in Malaysia. Soon, I will have a section dedicated to bird watching tours in Malaysia and possibly around Asia where you can contact the tour operators directly.
If you have any questions, want to advertise, promote a bird watching product, or contribute articles, please get in touch with me, and we can discuss further on this.
Bird Watching Malaysia is an independent platform created by me, David, to promote the hobby to new birders and existing birders, not forgetting the entire birding community.